McWatters is an ancient municipality and one of neighbourhoods which constitute today Rouyn-Noranda city. It has a population of about 2.500.
The community is born in 1932, when a gold mine is open here, near the Kinojevis River after a prospector named David McWatters had discovered ore in 1930. The McWatters Gold Mine was closed however, in 1944.
The Kinojevis River is navigable waterway making it possible to reach the Ottawa River.
On Highway 117, at the top of a hill offering a panoramic view of the region, guests can see a lighted anode. It’s a symbol of Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec’s capital of copper.
The airport of Rouyn-Noranda is located in McWatters, but more than 60% of its territory is covered by forest.