Once at the very heart of La Malbaie industrial hub, the historic Cauchon’s forge and carpentry shop was built in 1882 by smithy Joseph Cauchon.
It included a flourmill, a sawmill, a shingling mill, a planning mill, and a wool-carding wheel. The historic site is a reminder of the major socio-economic role that blacksmiths and carpenters once played in Quebec back in the 19th and in the early 20th centuries.
The site testifies to the artisans’ inventiveness and their ability to adapt: the Cauchon family practiced numerous occupations for many dozens of years.
Guests can watch artisans demonstrating their craftsmanship and are offered to take a guided tour of the site. The smithy-carpentry shop, a remarkable union of two generally distant trades, was declared historical monument by Quebec’s Ministry of Cultural Affaires.
Address of the Forge Cauchon:
323, Chemin de la Vallee La Malbaie (Riviere-Malbaie)