Cathedral of the Holy Trinity
The Cathedral of the Holy Trinity is located on 31, rue des Jardins (des Jardins Street) in Quebec City. The Recollets Church stood on the site of this cathedral before the fall of New France, in 1760.
After the Conquest, they shared the church with the Anglican congregation. Every Sunday the English called for a religious service as soon as the Catholic mass was over.
But in 1796, the Catholic Church burned down and the Anglican Church of the Holy Trinity was built between 1800 and 1804. It was conceived as a symbolic statement of British presence, pretensions, powers and privileges. Its size is indicative of the English influence in Quebec at that time. Major William Robe and Captain William Hall of the Royal Artillery designed the building in the Palladian style. For their work they adapted the plans of St. Martin-in-the-Fields Church in London. Most of the stonework and masonry were done by John and Lawrence Cannon. In fact this was the first Church of England Cathedral ever built outside of English isles.
The government assumed of the costs and King George III donated fabric for an altar frontal which had been used for his coronation. He also gave ten silver altar vessels which are still in the possession of the temple. The Cathedral is notable for its Royal Pew, set apart on a gallery and to be used only by the sovereign or his or her representative. Jacob Mountain, Quebec's first Anglican Bishop is buried in the Cathedral.
Besides, Cathedral's archives contain records of birth, marriages and burials in the parish dating back to 1766.
Address of the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity: 31 Des Jardins Street
Cathedral of Holy Trinity. Source de la photo : Anglican Diocese of Quebec