Church of Precious Blood
The plan to create the parish of Precious Blood, in the Centre-of-Quebec Region, is envisaged in 1862 while Bishop Thomas Cooke, of Trois-Rivieres, delegates Rev Calixte Marquis in the area so that he could mark the parish's future church site with a cross. In July, 1899, a petition is sent to Bishop Elphège Gravel, of Nicolet, for the assignment of a missionary for the area and requesting the permission to erect a temple for religious services.
But this plan will be executed only at the beginning of the next century. Bishop Gravel assigns Rev Rémi Généreux as missionary in 1902. On October 16, 1902, he erects a cross on the church's actual site. Ernest Dubois' home is then transformed into a temporary chapel and becomes the first place of worship, while the barn is converted into a sacristy. The first mass is celebrated on November 15, 1902 in this temporary chapel. Then Bishop Gravel establishes the Precious Blood mission on November 21, 1902.
A request is sent to the bishop by the residents of the area in favour of erecting the mission as a parish. This request causes an opposition from farmers of Bécancour, Saint-Célestin and Saint-Grégoire. Bishop Brunault, diocese administration in the absence of Bishop Gravel, issues the decree of canonical erection of the parish of the Most Precious Blood of Our Lord, on February 20, 1903. This decree also appoints Rev Rémi Généreux as the first parish priest. The opponents protest and call the bishop's decision to the Apostolic Delegate in Canada, Bishop Donato Sbaretti, who upholds Bishop Brunault's decision.
Plans for the church are prepared by architect Louis Caron, of Nicolet. Construction begins on June 22, 1903 and are entrusted to Sinai Massé, of Sainte-Gertrude. The church is completed by the end of the same year and the first mass in the church takes place on Christmas 1903. Bishop Brunault blesses the new temple on July 14, 1904.
Candlesticks and crucifix in the church come from Saint-Grégoire and executed, in 1812, by sculptor Urbain Brien dit Desrochers, are classified as "cultural heritage" in 1977 by the Québec's Ministry of Cultural Affairs.
In 1965, the village of Precious Blood becomes a district in the city of Bécancour. In 1984, the church is completely restored thanks to a federal subvention.
The church’s organ comes from the Mont-Bénilde College's chapel owned by the Brothers of Christian Schools in St. Angèle-de-Laval.
Precious Blood Church. Photo : Patrimoine des lieux de culte du Québec