In 1881, eight Trappists left the Abbey of Bellefontaine, France.
They came to Canada, where they decided to begin a new foundation. The Sulpicians offered the Trappists land located near the Lake of Two Mountains.
On the 9th of November 1881, the monks took possession of their first monastery, built from wood at the top of the Saint Sulpice hill (later this building became the first agricultural school of Oka).
Address of Oka Abbey:
1600 Chemin d’Oka, Oka,
Phone : 450 479-8361
Web site of Oka Abbey: www.abbayeoka.com
Source of the photo © Fondation du patrimoine religieux du Québec