Our Lady of the Cape Shrine
Our Lady of the Cape Shrine, located at Cap-de-la-Madeleine, is dedicated to Mary, the Mother of Jesus.
Both youth and adult will find at this Marian pilgrimage site an unconditional welcome, comfort in their faith, support in their trials, clarity in their search for a meaningful life, as well as responses to their spiritual quest.
The original stone parish church was opened for worship in 1720. It is the oldest church preserved in its integrity in the whole of Canada. Between 1906 and 1910, 15 bronze monuments were erected in Our Lady's garden to aid pilgrims in meditating the mysteries of the Rosary.
In 1924, the Rosary Bridge was built over the brook in the gardens of the church. The building of the present basilica begins in 1955. It’s inaugurated in 1964.
The basilica has remarkable stained-glass windows by Fr. Jan Tillemans, a Dutch Oblate. These windows were mounted according to centuries old techniques. The basilica can seat over 1660 people and its dome rises up 125 feet high.
The Casavant organ is one of the largest in Canada. Its 5425 pipes form the shape of a Maple leaf.
On September 10th, 1984, Pope John Paul II came to pray in the Old Shrine and presided an outdoor celebration of the Eucharist before a crowd of more than 75,000 pilgrims.
Address of Our Lady of the Cape Shrine:
626 Notre-Dame Street Trois-Rivieres
Web Site of Our Lady of the Cape Shrine: www.ourladyofthecapeshrine.com