The religious heritage of Richmond shows the Anglo-Saxon character of the area. One of the most interesting exemples of the religious architecture is St-Bibiane Church. The first St-Bibiane Chapel was built here in 1829 on Brand's Hill, in front of Denison Road.
The first chapel was used until 1840, and was then destroyed in a fire. The second chapel was builit in the same place St-Bibiane stands. As population grew and the chapel no longer met the needs of the parrissioners, it was torn down. Architectes M. Cyrias and Alexandre Ouellette built the actual church in December, 1880.
The new church was blessed by Mgr Antoine Racine, first bishop of Sherbrooke. The first mass was celebrated by Rev. Luc Trahan, first Priest. In the 1890s, the interieur decoration of the church was completed according to the plans of M. David Ouellette of Quebec City.
In February 1895, the magnifisant canvases called le Chemin de la Croix, (the route of the Cross) where installed. They were most likely painted by Cabane. The organs were installed in 1905 by the Casavant brothers of St-Hyacinthe.
Photo © Fondation du patrimoine religieux du Québec