Church of St. Jean
St. Jean parish, located on the Island of Orleans, was established by François de Montmorency Laval, bishop of Quebec, in 1678. The first wooden church of the village was built before 1683. Its exact location is unknown, and it was used until the actual church was built.
The new church was probably completed in 1736.
The first details about interior decoration date back to 1774 when churchwardens commissioned sculptor and cabinetmaker Jean Baillairge to build the chancel's wood panels, and the statues. From 1810 to 1813, Louis-Basile David executes the vaulting, painting, pulpit, churchwardens’ pew, nave’s entablature and gilding. In 1852 parishioners petitioned the Bishop of Quebec to authorize a church's extension.
The extension was carried out through the facade and is the most unusual way. Nave walls first extended by 6 feet and new windows were installed. Then, after widening the nave, in front of this enlarged nave, the facade was built giving the church a more majestic look.
These works, carried out by Louis-Flavien and Louis-Thomas Berlinguet, considerably modified the church's original look.
The St. Juan Church houses painting by Antoine Plamondon executed between 1833 and 1856.
Stained glass windows were installed around 1900. The church's treasure includes many silver works, some dating back to 1687.
St. Jean Church. Source of the photo of St. Juan Church: www.quebecweb.com/tourismeiledorleans