Sherbrooke Symphony Orchestra
Sherbrooke Symphony Orchestra is a community orchestra of the city of Sherbrooke. It was founded in 1939 by Sylvio Lacharite, Horace Boux, and other musicians and citizens.
The OSS is the third oldest symphony orchestra in Quebec, after Montreal’s and Quebec City’s. Sylvio Lacharite was its firs director. Today, the OSS is considered one of the best regional orchestras in Canada. The Orchestra began performing in parish halls.
Since February 1945, the Orchestra used the Granada cinema and theatre, with its excellent acoustics. The Symphony Orchestra gave that time three to six concerts each year. These performances were enhanced by noted soloists such as the pianists Leon Fleisher, Glenn Gould, Paul Loyonnet, Witold Malcuzynski, the violinists Albert Brusilow, Henryk Szeryng, Joseph Szigeti, and the contralto Maureen Forrester.
Later, the orchestra played in the auditorium of the St Charles seminary and in the cathedral St. Michel of Sherbrooke, presenting Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony, Honegger’s Le Roi David, and Handel’s Messiah. In 1964, it moved to the hall of the University of Sherbrooke’s Cultural Centre.
Website of the Sherbrooke Symphony Orchestra: www.css-oss.com