Tomifobia Trail

The Tomifobia Nature Trail or linear park was created in 1993, when a portion of the abandoned railway right-of-way from Ayer’s Cliff to Beebe was converted a Nature Trail by Sentiers Massawippi Society, non-profit organisation, formed in 1990. The Massawippi Valley Railway linked Newport (Gaspesie), Vermont and Lennoxville (Eastern Townships) since 1870.

The railway was instrumental in the development of the copper mining and granite quarrying industries in the region. It was also used to carry forest and agricultural products to market.

The railway also provided a link for passengers travelling between the United States and Canada. It stimulated summer recreation on Lake Massawippi. The line was abandoned in 1990.

The Tomifobia River runs through an area, and the Wood Turtle (Glyptemys insculpta) can be seen there.

The Wood Turtle reaches lengths of 6 to 8 inches. The wood turtle is accurately named, as it spends most of its time in wooded areas. It is, however, also semi-aquatic and dependent on streams, rivers, and ponds.

A memorial stone in the memory of two engineers, perished in an accident, in 1985, can be seen at the site, located at km 13.4 of the Tomifobia Nature Trail. This stone was provided by the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.

See also:

  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • LinkedIn
  • TwitThis