Spanish Chicken and Rice
- 6 cups of Chicken Broth
- 3 cups of shredded cooked chicken
- 1 jar of chopped pimentos, drained
- 1 cup of frozen green peas
- 1 can of tomato juice
- 3 cups of uncooked rice
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 3/4 cups of Parmesan cheese
- 6 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp of dried oregano leaves, crushed
In 6-quart saucepot, combine chicken broth and paprika. Bring to a boil and stir in rice.
Reduce heat to low and simmer covered 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Remove from heat and stir in mayonnaise and half of cheese.
In large, nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes; drain.
Add onion, green pepper, garlic and oregano.
Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
Stir in tomato sauce, chili powder and shredded chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Stir in pimentos and green peas.
In serving bowl, combine chicken mixture with rice mixture and garnish with remaining Parmesan cheese.
(Makes 8 servings).