Yellos split pea soup from Quebec
- 2 c. (1 lb.) dried yellow split peas
- 3 lbs. smoked ham hocks
- 1 1/2 c. finely chopped onions
- 1/2 c. finely chopped celery
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 2 qts. water
- Wash the dried peas in a sieve under cold running water, discarding any that are discolored.
- Place the peas in a heavy 5 to 6 quart casserole and add the ham hocks, onions, celery, salt and water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to low, cover tightly and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the cover and continue to simmer for about 20 minutes longer or until the ham shows no resistance when pierced deeply with the point of a small knife or skewer.
- Transfer the ham hocks to a chopping board or platter and, with a small, sharp knife, remove the skin and bones.
- Discard the skin and bones and cut the ham into 1/2″ cubes. Return the ham cubes to the soup and simmer for 2 or 3 minutes to heat them through.
- Taste for seasoning and ladle the soup into a heated tureen or individual bowl.
- Serve at once. Serves 6 to 8.