Portobello Mushroom Pitas
- ½ cup (125 mL) of mayonnaise
- ¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp of chopped fresh basil leaves or 1 tsp of dried basil leaves, crushed
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 4 portobello mushroom caps (about ¾ lb/375 g)
- 2 medium red onions, cut into ¼-inch (6mm) thick rounds Lettuce leaves
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 large whole wheat pita breads
- In small bowl, combine mayonnaise, cheese, basil, garlic and salt; set aside.
- Season mushroom caps and onions, if desired, with salt and ground black pepper.
- Grill or broil mushroom caps and onions 8 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- To serve, arrange pita breads on serving plates.
- Evenly spread with ½ of the mayonnaise mixture, then top with lettuce, mushroom caps, tomato, hot onion and remaining mayonnaise mixture.
Makes 4 servings. Prep time: 20 minutes, cook time: 8 minutes.