- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 whole red pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 can black or red kidney beans, drained (14 oz, 400 mL)
- 1 can tomatos (28 oz, 800 mL)
- 1 can corn niblets, draines (12 oz, 340 mL)
- 1 1/4 cups brown rice (300 mL).
- In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onion, red pepper, celery and garlic.
- Stir in chili powder and cumin.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatos, breaking up with spoon.
- Stir in beans and corn.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Now add rice and return to a full boil, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir.
- Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
Makes 4 to 6 servings. Nutrition information per serving: calories 232, dietary fibre 9 g, fat 4 g, carbohydrates 45 g, protein 9 g.