The Stanley Cup became the most famous distinction in the world of hockey, but few remember Mr. Stanley who was the Governor-General of Canada from 1888 to 1893. He was an amateur carpenter, and he helped to build his own summer residence, where his family lived after they had bought the land from the Dutchie family. Mr. Stanley was assisted in the design and building by Mr. Reid, the Government House carpenter.
The house was finished in 1895.It is built of common pine wood. Its furniture is very simple: plain deal boards for tables with legs of small trunks of unbarked trees.
It has eighteen bed-rooms, and a big octagonal drawing room with an open fire-place. The families of other two Governor-Generals resided in the estate, those of Lord Aberdeen and the Earl of Minto. Much of the original rustic log furniture still remains. Today a hotel Auberge Maison Stanley is located here.
Address of Stanley House: 371 Perron Boulevard Ouest New Richmond