Aftermath the Battle of St. Foy
In the last days of April, 1760, both the English, from their retreat within Quebec City and the French from the heights to the west of Quebec, looked every moment down the St. Lawrence. The both sides hoped to see some sign of the approach of reinforcements from abroad.
On the morning of May 9th, the masts of a ship were seen beyond the end of the Island of Orleans. Excitement ran high. The ship showed no flag, so nobody knew if the help was coming for the French or for the English. As the ship rounded the island and came into full view, the watchers saw the Union Jack break from the masthead. It was Lowestoft, a British frigate, the first of a small fleet of approaching vessels bearing relief in food and men for the besieged forces.
As to the French reinforcements, six fairly large vessels and a number of smaller boats left Bordeaux in France on April 10, 1760to race across the Atlantic carrying aid for the French Army in New France.
The fleet under the command of Admiral Colville was intercepted by the English and destroyed in the Battle of Restigouche, in the Bay of Chaleurs. Chevalier de Levis knew at once then the fate of New France was sealed. He waited a few days longer near Quebec. Then he struck camp and led his force back to Montreal, where the English sent the best of their soldiers from Quebec City.