Québec experience program
The program (Le Programme de l’expérience québécoise) was implemented in February of 2010 in order to retain in the province international students who have already studied and lived in Quebec, who know and share the values of Quebec, whose integration process is well underway.
The program is aimed at those who have obtained an eligible Québec diploma or is about to do that soon and who have knowledge of oral French.
In particular, in order to qualify under the program, an applicant must:
1. be in possession of or be about to graduate in 6 months and to receive a diploma that is eligible under this program. Only certain types of diplomas are eligible for the purpose of applying under this program. Among those are the following:
- diploma of vocational studies involving 1,800 hours of studies or more;
- diploma of vocational studies followed by an attestation of vocational specialization (attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP)) totalling to a minimum of 1,800 hours;
- college diploma of technical training;
- higher academic achievements, such as Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree, a doctorate.
2. have legal status in Canada of an international student.
The main purpose of an applicant’s stay in Quebec must have been to study and he must have been authorized to do so.
That means that an applicant must have held an acceptance certificate for studies in Quebec or must have been exempted under the law. In addition, an applicant must have been in possession of a study permit, unless exempted under the law.
Finally, an applicant must have fulfilled all the conditions provided for by his acceptance certificate for studies in Quebec and by his study permit.
3. have an intermediate level of oral French. If the program of studies undertaken by an applicant has been entirely in French, an applicant is considered to have the requisite level of French. Otherwise, this requirement may be met by either:
- having completed at least two years of secondary or post-secondary studies in French;
- having completed a intermediate course in French at an educational institution recognized by the Ministère de l’Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport or in a university located in Québec;
- having satisfied the language requirements of a professional order in Québec;
- having completed a standardized oral French test at the intermediate level (TEFaQ, TCFQ, DELF, DALF, TCF or TEF). Only oral comprehension and oral expression are evaluated for the purposes of the program.
4. sign a self-sufficiency contract and is prepared to provide for himself for the duration of 3 months once he becomes a permanent resident in Canada.
Only graduates or future graduates must satisfy the requirements of this program in order to obtain a selection certificate for himself and, where applicable, for his spouse or de facto spouse and dependent children included in his application.
In comparison with the Quebec program for skilled workers, the characteristics of the spouse or de facto spouse are not taken into consideration in this program.
If you would like to receive assistance in applying under conditions of any of the available Quebec programs, you may wish to contact us.