The program (Le Programme de l’Expérience Québécoise) was implemented in February of 2010 in order to retain in the province international students who have already studied and lived in Quebec, who know and share the values of Quebec, whose integration process is well underway.
The program is aimed at those who have been working in Quebec in an eligible occupation and who have sufficient knowledge of oral French. In particular, in order to qualify under the program, an applicant must:
1. have been working in an eligible occupation under the conditions of the program and have held one or more jobs of the same nature for at least 12 of the past 24 months. Only paid full-time jobs performed on a valid foreign worker status are eligible under the program. A full-time job implies a minimum of 30 hours of paid work per week.
No part-time work period can be taken into consideration under the program. Full-time work experience obtained while on a post-graduation work permit, while participating in a youth exchange program or during an internship may be taken into account provided that all other requirements of the program have been met. Self-employed periods may also be taken into account if this job was performed at a skilled level and the resulting income was equivalent to a full-time salary;
2. have had legal status authorising one to work in Quebec.
The main purpose of an applicant’s stay in Quebec must have been to work in the province and he must have been authorized to do so. That means that an applicant must have held an acceptance certificate in Quebec or must have been exempted under the law. In addition, an applicant must have been in possession of a work permit, unless exempted under the law. Finally, an applicant must have fulfilled all the conditions provided for by his acceptance certificate for work in Quebec and by his work permit;
3. have an intermediate level of oral French;
This requirement may be met by either:
- having completed at least two years of secondary or post-secondary studies in French;
- having completed a intermediate course in French at an educational institution recognized by the Ministère de l’Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport or in a university located in Québec;
- having satisfied the language requirements of a professional order in Québec;
- having completed a standardized oral French test at the intermediate level (TEFaQ, TCFQ, DELF, DALF, TCF or TEF). Only oral comprehension and oral expression are evaluated for the purposes of the program.
4. sign a self-sufficiency contract and is prepared to provide for himself for the duration of 3 months once he becomes a permanent resident in Canada.
Only foreign workers in Quebec must satisfy the requirements of this program in order to obtain a selection certificate for himself and, where applicable, for his spouse or de facto spouse and dependent children included in his application. In comparison with the Quebec program for skilled workers, the characteristics of the spouse or de facto spouse are not taken into consideration in this program. If you would like to receive assistance in applying under conditions of any of the available Quebec programs, you may wish to contact us.
St. Catherine and Guy corner in Montreal. Photo : © ProvinceQuebec