Villebois, founded in 1935, counts 300 inhabitants. Thirty kilometers north of the city of La Sarre, the Villebois area consists mainly of farmland and is surrounded by a beautiful setting of green at the southwestern part of the James Bay territory, right at the edge of the 49th parallel.
The village, created by the Government of Quebec, was to serve the early 1930s idea of developing the region to fight the biggest world economical crises by sending thousands of people to work there.
The first settlers crossed the Turgeon River aboard a barge called La Rosanna, named after a brave lady, one of the first colonists. The replica of La Rosanna is now o display at the entrance to Villebois.
Today, Villebois is a lovely tourist spot. Its natural wonders and patrimonial heritage attract thousands of vacationers every year.
To the east of Villebois, within the Fenouillet hills, guests find 30 kilometers of excellent trails that give access to ancient caves and a nice panoramic view of the Turgeon Valley. Mountain bikes can be used on certain trails. In addition, a local tourist agency offers exciting horse trips.
Four covered bridges, Quebec’s architectural heritage, are built in the traditional Town style and still span the Turgeon river and the Leslie Brook: the Maurice-Duplessis bridge, the Pionniers bridge, the Souvenirs bridge, and the Taschereau bridge. They are still in an excellent condition and can be crossed by car, by bike, or on foot. While crossing them, you should stop to admire their wooden structures engraved with love messages.
Villebois became famous because of Blanche Pronovost, the main character of well-known novel Les Filles de Caleb by Arlette Cousture, who lived here.