Fort Chambly National Historic Site
The first Fort Chambly was built in 1665 as one of the French outposts to protect New France against raids of the Iroquois. The fort was called Fort Saint-Louis, but colons called it Fort Chambly, after its first commanding officer, Captain Jacques de Chambly. He was granted a seigniory here, in 1672.
The first fort was of wood and it didn’t resist the local climate.
The constriction of the new stone Fort Chambly began in 1709 at the mouth of Richelieu River. It was completed in 1711. The new fort was built in the style of Vauban’s French fortifications. At the time, Fort Chambly was the largest in a series of fortifications on the shores of the Richelieu River (it was known as the Iroquois River in the 18th century).
Today, the Fort Chambly National Historic Site is one of the major attractions of the town of Chambly area. It’s run by Parks Canada. The fort houses a museum and interpretive center. It hosts as well historical re-enactments of military drills
Find out more: