Communaute Metropolitaine de Montreal - Montreal Metropolitan Community

The Communaute metropolitaine de Montreal or CMM (in fact, the English translation Montreal Metropolitan Community is rarely used), created on January 1st, 2001 is the most important economic center of Quebec.

The CMM is a planning, coordinating and funding body.

This community stretches over 4 360 sq. kilometers (out  of which 3818 sq. kilometers are dry lands and the remaining is water) and embraces 82 municipalities covering the territory of five administrative regions, Montreal, Laval (these two towns are wholly included into the CMM) and parts of Laurentides, Lanaudiere and Monteregie. Today some 3.5 million people live in the CMM and, in total, it has 1.5 million private dwellings.

These numbers represent around 47 % of the total population and the same percentage of dwellings in the province of Quebec. There are 1.8 million jobs in the CMM. It’s worth noting that the economy of the region centers in service industries such as business-to-business, retail and wholesale, accommodation, public catering, tourism etc.

This sector counts for some 75 % of jobs in the region whereas manufacturing represents less than 18 %. The Montreal region is also famous for its high tech industries including aerospace, IT, bio-pharmaceutical companies. As for agriculture, with farm lands occupying more than 58 % of the territory, it creates 10,000 jobs. Today the annual budget of the CMM surpasses 73 M$. The municipalities contribute 70% of the budget and the Quebec government adds the remaining 30%.

The CMM is administered by a council of 28 people. The mayor of Montreal assumes the role of the president of the council, he chairs the executive committee composed of 8 members.

Permanent and ad hoc commissions are created by the CMM in order to facilitate the work.

view of montreal

View of Montréal

In total, the CMM has jurisdiction eight fields as follows :

  • Land planning;
  • Economic development;
  • Arts and culture promotion;
  • Social housing;
  • Infrastructure and services of metropolitan importance;
  • Public transport and local arterial road network;
  • Waste management and planning;
  • Air quality and wastewater control.

Bellow is the list of municipalities composing the CMM :

  • Baie D’Urfe
  • Beaconsfield
  • Beauharnois
  • Beloeil
  • Blainville
  • Bois-des-Filion
  • Boisbriand
  • Boucherville
  • Brossard
  • Calixa-Lavallee
  • Candiac
  • Carignan
  • Chambly
  • Charlemagne
  • Chateauguay
  • Contrecoeur
  • Cote-Saint-Luc
  • Delson
  • Deux-Montagnes
  • Dollard-des-Ormeaux
  • Dorval
  • Hampstead
  • Hudson
  • Kirkland
  • L’Assomption
  • L’Ile-Cadieux
  • L’Ile-Dorval
  • L’Ile-Perrot
  • La Prairie
  • Laval
  • Lery
  • Les Cedres
  • Longueuil
  • Lorraine
  • Mascouche
  • McMasterville
  • Mercier
  • Mirabel
  • Mont-Royal
  • Mont-Saint-Hilaire
  • Montreal
  • Montreal-Est
  • Montreal-Ouest
  • Notre-Dame-de-l’Ile-Perrot
  • Oka
  • Otterburn Park
  • Pincourt
  • Pointe-Calumet
  • Pointe-Claire
  • Pointe-des-Cascades
  • Repentigny
  • Richelieu
  • Rosemere
  • Saint-Amable
  • Saint-Basile-le-Grand
  • Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville
  • Saint-Constant
  • Saint-Eustache
  • Saint-Isidore
  • Saint-Jean-Baptiste
  • Saint-Joseph-du-Lac
  • Saint-Lambert
  • Saint-Lazare
  • Saint-Mathias-sur-Richelieu
  • Saint-Mathieu
  • Saint-Mathieu-de-Beloeil
  • Saint-Philippe
  • Saint-Sulpice
  • Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue
  • Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines
  • Sainte-Catherine
  • Sainte-Julie
  • Sainte-Marthe-sur-le-Lac
  • Sainte-Therese
  • Senneville
  • Terrasse-Vaudreuil
  • Terrebonne
  • Varennes
  • Vaudreuil-Dorion
  • Vaudreuil-sur-le-Lac
  • Vercheres
  • Westmount
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • LinkedIn
  • TwitThis