L’Anse-Saint-Jean

L’Anse-Saint-Jean, nestled in a bay of the confines of the St. Jean River and the fjord of the Saguenay, displays its charms between capes that preside over a splendid view. L’Anse-Saint-Jean is a town with a population of about 1200, located in the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean Region.

L’Anse-Saint-Jean is special, because it sits directly on the shores of the Fjord, - no other town is located on the shores of the fjord. The town is a proud member of the Quebec’s most beautiful villages association.

The village was founded in 1668, when Father Beaulieu, wintering with the Montagnais and Micmac natives, had a chapel built in the heart of a magnificent valley (this chapel no longer exists). Still, since 1838, the Société des Vingt-et-un sent here a few lumber prospectors and investors from Charlevoix in order to open up the Saguenay region to colonization.

L’Anse Saint-Jean offers a variety of attractions which make a trip here worthwhile, such as panoramic vistas - from the incredible panoramic lookouts of the Great Falls, which can be seen from east of the village, to the White Mountains. Tourists can go sailing, see-kayaking in the ocean, hiking along the capes of the Saguenay Park overlooking the fjord, horseback riding. Fishing here is excellent, and guests can catch salmon, trout, smelt and other species/

In wintertime, guests can take advantage of cross-country skiing in the park, alpine skiing on Mount Edouard, dogsledding, and ice fishing on the Saguenay fjord.

The covered bridge used to be pictured on the Canadian 1000.00 $ bills is located here.

A microbrewery of Anse-Saint-Jean offers quite a nice beer. Each October, an art symposium is held here.

The gastronomy is surprising and the accommodations are welcoming and varied, from the small cosy inns to the rental of cottages and condos.

Note than L’Anse-Saint-JeanIt achieved a certain notoriety in January, 1997, when its citizens declared the village the Kingdom of L’Anse-Saint-jean (Le Royaume de L’Anse-Saint-Jean), the continent’s first “municipal monarchy.” Denys Tremblay became King Denys I. He was crowned on June 24, 1997 in the St-Jean-Baptiste Church. But the Kingdom no longer exists, as its founders couldn’t find any money to sustain the monarchy.

See also:

  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • LinkedIn
  • TwitThis