Aylmer is a sector of Gatineau City, Outaouais Region. Aylmer is a former town, incorporated in 1847. It has a population of about 45 000. The former town is located on the Ottawa River and Route 148. Aylmer is named after Lord Aylmer, Governor General of British North America (Canada) from 1830 to 1835. The community is proud of its many golf courses, green spaces, spas, marina, indoor swimming pool, skateboard park and bicycle paths.
The area is mainly residential and there is little industry in the sector. Most of the major services and restaurants are located along Chemin d'Aylmer. Aylmer's population is about 40% Anglophone and 60% francophone and much of the population is bilingual. Colonization begins here during the early 19th century, when agricultural lots were given to Loyalists from Massachusetts.
During most of the 19th century, the town of Aylmer was an important center for the lumber industry. In 1921, a destructive fire ravaged large sections of the village destroying dozens of homes and businesses, after that Aylmer's biggest sawmill closed its doors. In the second half of the 20th century Aylmer became an important suburb to the region.
In 1975 the villages of Lucerne and Deschenes, located just east of downtown Aylmer, were amalgamated, and new residential developments were created on the northern and eastern side of old Aylmer.
- Outaouais Region