Champlain Village, situated on the shores of the St-Lawrence River, is one of the oldest settlements of New France and Canada.
It's located on the Royal Road (Chemin du Roy), that's the first road in New France, opened in 1737, near Trois-Rivieres City. Champlain was named for Samuel Champlain, founder of Quebec City and first Governor of the colony.
In the 19th century, Champlain became a resort destination. Large ships passing in the shipping channel anchored there. It was also home to sailors.
Till now it has a lovely wharf where tourists can go for a promenade. Champlain Village has more than patrimonial 200 buildings, including its imposing church, classified as an historic monument, which contains several paintings from the past centuries. The area around the church presents beautiful architectural specimens.