The Abenakis Nation was the first people to set camp along the Eaton River. Around 1792, Josiah Sawyer, an American Loyalist, settled here with his family near the river. He gave his name to the town of Sawyerville. Near 1792, another American, John Cook settled in the area as well. Cookshire was named in his honour.
The township of Eaton was proclaimed in 1800, and thus it’s acknowledged as one of the Eastern Townships oldest towns. The territory of the vast community includes several types of land, such as forests, woods, marshes and farmlands. The Eaton River crosses the territory, and the Jordan Hill is one of the major attractions. Note than the Anglican St. Peter’s Church, built in 1817, was the first church to be erected in Haut-Saint-Francois Region and the 4th in the Eastern Townships. During the second half of the 19th century, the Cookshire-Eaton area gained nation-wide renown in agriculture, railways and forestry.
Indeed, all the administrative, judiciary and political services for the Compton County were located on its territory. Today, Cookshire-Eaton prioritizes actions supporting a sustainable development. The community is a regional leader when it comes to ensuring the quality of life for its citizens.
As to educational, cultural and recreational sites, visitors will find the Johnville Bo and Forest Park with hiking trails, cross-country skiing, showshoeing, nature interpretation panels, peatland, ponds, a large variety of plants and animals. Compton County Historical Museum dedicated to the pioneers and first settlers, is located here. Various cultures share the life in Cookshire-Eaton, living in harmony.
About 75% of the inhabitants speak French in their families and the rest speak English. The municipality is also encouraging the development of new residential areas, the appropriate renovation of existing buildings, and the maintenance of a diverse range of quality apartments.