The Township of Dundee is located in the south-west of Quebec, near the Canadian-American border, in Monteregie Region (Haut St. Lawrence County). The famous Saint-Francois Lake National Wildlife Reserve is located near by.
The community is also bounded by the Akwesasne Amerindian Reserve. It has a population of about 400. The municipality of Dundee was constituted on July 1st, 1855. However, first settlers come here in the early 1800s. They came from the United States, Ireland and Scotland.
Dundee’s name is derived from the industrial and harbour center of Dundee, located in eastern Scotland, on the north bank of the River Tay. John Davidson, the first postmaster of Dundee, native of Dundee, Scotland, is regarded as the founder of the community.
The territory is well-known for its marshes and wetlands, which play an important ecological role in the flora and fauna surrounding Saint-Francois Lake. This area has been designated by the Canadian Wildlife Service as a National Wildlife Reserve of St. Francois Lake. In 1987, the site was recognized under the International Ramsar Convention as a Wetland of National Importance. Dundee is composed of the small village of Sainte-Agnes-de-Dundee and the hamlet of Dundee.
Few seasonal dwellings are clustered along the shoreline of St-Francois Lake at Pointe-Leblanc, Caza Place, Gordon Point, Fraser Point and Hopkins Point.
The Dundee border and Customs Office is accessible via Route 132.
Address of Dundee: 3296, Montée Smallman Dundee
Phone: 450 264-4674
Web Site of Dundee: www.cantondundee.qc.ca