Founded in 1933 with the opening of Beatty Gold Mines Inc., Duparquet is one of the two towns of Abititibi-Ouest county that appeared on the map with the arrival of the mining industry.
Once a mining town, Duparquet is home to around 700 inhabitants mainly involved in the tourist industry: the town is a popular destination for people fond of winter and summer activities. The nearby Lake Duparquet, one of the most beautiful lakes in the Abitibi-Temiscamingue region, offers a great variety of outdoor activities: a 20-km (12-mi) trail lets guests take full advantage of cross-country skiing and ATV riding; the quay allows boating enthusiasts to have access to the lake; the Fern Outfitter (Fern pourvoirie) offers various services and lodging to hunters and fishers(www.pourvoiriefern.com). Interestingly, the Duparquet Lake is home to the oldest white cedars in America.
Tracing back the history of the town, the exposition Duparquet, a town of gold at the Town Hall offers guided tours for the visitors. The vacationers can enjoy golfing at the Club de Golf Beattie de Duparquet (9 holes), open since 1933.
A few outfitters and private rental homes are available on the shores of the Duparquet Lake. As to eating out, guests can chose between La Folie du Cafe, Le Cafe de la petite Boulangere, and a few other restaurants.