The village of Kegaska (or Kegashka) is located in the Côte-Nord region and it’s a sector of Côte-Nord-du-Golfe-du-Saint-Laurent municipality (Golfe St. Lawrence regional county). It has a population of about 150.
Kegaska is an unconstituted locality (as defined by Statistics Canada in the Canada 2011 Census) within the municipality of Côte-Nord-du-Golfe-du-Saint-Laurent. Its name is spelled Kégashka and Kegaska (the latter is preferred by the Commission de toponymie du Québec). Its name derives from the Innu word quegasca, first recorded on Franquelin's map of 1685.
This village is the westernmost community in Côte-Nord-du-Golfe-du-Saint-Laurent municipality, with a population of mostly anglophone settlers from Anticosti Island who settled here in the early XXth century.
In 1831, Kegaska was selected by the Hudson's Bay Company as a trading post, but the actual settlement was formed in 1852 when Acadian settlers came from the Magdalen Islands. They abandoned the place however in 1871-1873 to settle at Betchewun (now Betchouane between Havre-Saint-Pierre and Baie-Johan-Beetz) and were replaced by Newfoundland fishermen, almost all of Irish origin.
They in turn left around 1887-1888, leaving the place deserted. Yet in 1898, a few families relocated from Perth, Ontario, whose descendants now populate the area.
Today this is a quiet fishing village, distant of about 60 km (38 mi) from Natasquan.