L'Ange-Gardien (population of 4500), was developed in a result of the colonization of the Outaouais Region, stimulated by the development of its natural, forest and mineral resources. It constitutes the easternmost part of the Les Collines-de-l'Outaouais Regional County Municipality, north of the Buckingham Sector of the City of Gatineau.
The municipality straddles both sides of the Lievre River. It’s composed of a few villages, such as Glen Almond, Neilon and Ribot. The community of L'Ange-Gardian has been legally incorporated in 1979. Actually, its territory is made up of the former municipalities of West Buckingham, Buckingham Township and L’Ange-Gardien Parish.
The pulp and paper which contributed to the region's growth still remain significant employers. In fact, in 1861, a parish of L'Ange-Gardien was formed. In 1869, a post office serving the region was established. On January 1, 1975 L'Ange-Gardien, Buckingham, Masson, Notre-Dame-de-la-Salette, Angers, Buckingham-South-East, and Buckingham-South-West were merged to form the City of Buckingham.
But because of adverse public reaction, this merger did not last long, and in 1979, the former municipalities of West Buckingham, Buckingham Township, and L'Ange-Gardien Parish were reorganized into the Municipality of L'Ange-Gardien. L'Ange-Gardian has three lovely parks and playing fields, one at the corner of Maxime and Gingras roads, one in the Lauzon Road sector and another one on Brazeau Road. In winter, ice rinks are built in these parks.
These parks are also at the disposal of the citizens of Gatineau city. In exchange, the residents of L'Ange-Gardian have access for free to all Gatineau’s services.
To contact L'Ange-Gardien:
870, chemin Donaldson L'Ange-Gardien
Phone: 819 986-7470
Web Site of L'Ange-Gardien: www.ville.lange-gardien.qc.ca
- Outaouais Region
- Gatineau City