Montcerf-Lytton was founded in September 2001. This municipality of the Outaouais region occupies an area of about 354 square kilometres or 136 square miles.
There are about 750 people living there on a permanent basis, but a number of summer cottages are occupied in summer. Montcerf-Lytton is located in the heart of La Vallée-de-la-Gatineau Regional County, on the both shores of the Désert River, a tributary of the Gatineau River.
Montcerf-Lytton includes four small villages: Lytton, and Montcerf, Brodeur and Chute-Rouge. The municipality is well-known for its excellent soil for cultivation and for its magnificent lakes, namely Lake Clair, Lake Desrivieres, and Lake Lytton. Forests here abound, so fishing and hunting are popular sport activities.
The hunting facilities are provided by Bras-Coupe Desert domain, Camps Baskatong Luc Nault, domaine Aube du Lac, pourvoirie Villa Basque and others. The history of the municipality begins in 1869, when the township of Lytton was formed. The village of Montcerf, meaning Mount Deer in French was set up in 1920, but a religious mission existed here since the 19th century. The architecture of its buildings reflects its wood industry and agricultural routs.
Two patrimonial buildings are located here: a massif Church of Ste Philomene and an ancient general store building. On September 19, 2001, Montcerf and Lytton were merged into the new municipality of Montcerf-Lytton.
A patrimonial covered bridge crosses the Desert river. A rest area is located by the Quinn’s falls, which guests can admire by walking down on a special trail.
A visit to the falls is also worthy on the 1st of July, the day a country festival is held here for the Canada day.
Website of Montcerf-Lytton: www.montcerf-lytton.com (in French only).