Mutton Bay (in French: Baie-des-Moutons is a small isolated village on the namesake bay, on the Lower North Coast of Quebec, just east of the mouth of the Big Mecatina River, near the border with Labrador. It’s located in the Golfe-du-Saint-Laurent Regional County Municipality (Gulf of St. Lawrence), in Côte-Nord Region (North Shore) of Quebec (in the Lower North Shore).
It’s located near the border with Labrador.
The meaning of its name remains obscure since according to the Commision of Toponomy of Quebec, it seems unlikely that there ever were any sheep present. The name may be used as a metaphor for the white foam of waves, or for the hills that surround the bay, which are all rounded at the top of the rolling hills.
In 1804, notary Félix Têtu reported the establishment of the Baie-Moutons trading post. In the middle of the century, the bay was being fished but the village was not really established until 1872 when Newfoundlanders arrived and settled there.
By 1886, the local post office opened, first identified as Saint-Joseph-de-la-Tabatière, then from 1896 on as Mutton Bay. In 1983, the place name was officially anglized to Mutton Bay, replacing Baie-des-Moutons, because of the majority of English-speaking residents. By 1988, Mutton Bay more than fifty families, living mainly from fishing lobster and scallops.