Ormstown was incorporated on January 26, 2000 following the merger of the village of Ormstown (founded in 1889) and the parish of Saint Malachie (founded in 1840). Composed of fertile lands surrounded by the Chateauguay and Outardes rivers, this community was well-known for many years as the Quebec hub of the brick making industry.
Two theories explain the origin of the municipality’s name. The first, according to tradition, is that it was named after one of local landlord of XVIII Century Alexander Ellice’s sons, Orms, as was suggested out of respect by the surveyor for the territorial divisions at the time. According to the second version, Mr. Ellice didn’t have a son named Orms, and rather the name honours a Scotish village of Ormiston, as a great many of the area’s pioneer came from Scotland.
Ormstown is known for its Barrie Memorial Hospital, named in honour of a philanthropist Margaret Barrie, as well as for several educational institutions, a golf (18 holes), a mall – one of the biggest shopping centres in the eastern Quebec, the residential health care facility and affordable housing.
Among many heritage buildings the old fire station, now the Town Hall, was built in 1901 in the boom-town style. The building has a large cornice, bell tower in the front and an ancient hose tower, dating back to the original function of the building.
Many red clay brick Victorian-style houses can be seen here, particularly along Bridge, Church and Lambton streets, a reminder of Ormstown’s prosperous past. These buildings still lend an enchanting cachet to the heart of the town.
The Chateauguay Valley Regional high school as well as the Chateauguay Valley Career Education Centre, the municipal library, the Recreation Centre, the Ormstown Fair and the Branches & Roots Folk Music Festival are some of the many elements that enrich the social and community lives of the municipality.