The development of the territory of Pointe Claire began at the end of the 17th century, and after 1706, deforestation along the St. Lawrence riverbank led to the opening of a road along the St. Louis Lake.
The local parish was first established in the name of St. Francis of Sales in 1713 and dedicated to St. Joachim the following year. In 1854, Pointe-Claire became a municipality. Agriculture was the center of economical activities of the denizens, but transformations gradually came about with the influx of English-speaking summer vacationers attracted by the area's natural features.
Changes appeared with the coming of the Grand Trunk Railroad in 1855, which reduced the journey to Montreal to 45 minutes. Later, in 1887, the opening of the Canadian Pacific Line and the initiation of telephone service in the 1890s led to further development. Several hotels were built for vacationers, and a large number of private dwellings were rented. Seasonal cottages were built which eventually became permanent residences.
Unfortunately, on May 22, 1900, the village suffered a major fire that destroyed 23 houses along Church Street (St. Joachim Street), St. Anne Street and the Lakeshore Road. The town of Pointe-Claire was incorporated in 1911. With the construction of a highway alongside the railway in 1940, Pointe-Claire's role as a suburb of Montreal was confirmed. Pointe-Claire is located on the western point of the Montreal Island. Its population is of more than 31,000.
The city of Pointe-Claire was developed in an exceptional natural setting. The buildings established in the community core, as well as the point itself - jutting into Lake St. Louis, represent the rich natural and architectural heritage which stretches beyond the point, mainly along a strip of land bordering the lake.
The mill of Pointe-Claire is one of the oldest colonial vestiges on the shores of the Island of Montreal. Notre-Dame-du-Vieux-Moulin Convent is another of numerous heritage buildings.