The village of Salluit (Population of 1143) is located at the Sugluk Inlet, 10 km inland from the Hudson Strait, in the North of Quebec Region, between high, rugged mountains rising close to 500 metres.
The wildlife is very rich here. The coastal seabed teems with mussels and clams. But the harsh climate endured by the locals is indelibly engraved in their way of life, endowing them with an incredible sense of survival. In 1958, archaeology work was carried out on Qikirtaq Island, at the entrance of the Sugluk Inlet. The evidence collected showed that people of the Dorset period occupied the area from approximately 800 BC to 1000 AD.
The Sugluk Masquette, a minuscule mask 2 cm in size carved out of ivory, was excavated from the site. It dates back to about 400 BC. In 1925, an independent trader opened a trading post on the site. The same year, the Hudson Bay Company established its own post on the far shore of Sugluk Inlet, but the following year, the HBC moved to Deception Bay. In 1930, it built a combined store and dwelling at present-day Salluit.
In 1932, the post of the HBC at Deception Bay was closed, and the age of fur trading came to an end, when the price of pelts plummeted. A Catholic mission was established in 1930 here, but it was also closed in the beginning of the 1950tes. An Anglican mission followed in 1955. In 1957, a school was opened.
However, the first residential houses were built in 1959. Salluit legally became a municipality in 1979. As to its attractions, guests appreciate the Deception Bay, very beautiful site renowned for excellent hunting and fishing, the Sugluk Inlet with good opportunities for wildlife observation and beautiful nature.
To join Salluit: 64, Aqqutituqaq Road Salluit
Phone : 819 255-8953
Site Internet of Salluit: www.nvsalluit.ca