Sorel-Tracy is located on the edge of Lac St-Pierre, at the confluence of the Richelieu River and the St. Lawrence River. The city of 35,000 inhabitants is the seat of the Le Bas-Richelieu County.
Sorel-Trace is an amalgamation of former cities Sorel, Tracy, and Saint-Pierre-de-Sorel. Sorel is one of the oldest Canadiens communities, founded in 1641, when Charles Huault de Montmagny, Governor of New France, built Fort Richelieu to defend settlers against the Iroquois.
In 1647, however, the fort was destroyed by the Iroquois but it was rebuilt in 1665.
The name Sorel comes from Perre de Saurel, the first seigneur of the area, who served in the Carignan-Salieres Regiment. Tracy comes from Lieutenant General Alexander de Prouville, Sieur de Tracy, who was in command of the Carignan-Salières Regiment. The first efforts for the propagation of the Protestant religion in Canada were made in Sorel.
The first minister, the Reverend John Doty was appointed here in July 1784 and founded the Anglican parish in Sorel, that’s the first Anglican mission in Canada. Note that it is in Sorel that the Christmas tree made its first appearance in North America on Christmas Eve in 1781.
In the beginning of the 19th century, Sorel is one of the most important centres of fur trading in Canada. Later, it becomes an important shipyard.
In fact, three out of twelve Halifax class frigates of the Canadian Forces were built here. Today, Sorel-Tracy is an important industrical and economic center in Québec.
Sorel-Tracy is easily accessible via Highway 30.