Saint-Casimir is located near Quebec City, in the National Capital Region, namely in Portneuf County. The village was founded in 1835. It has a population of around 1600.
Saint-Casimir is located on the Sainte-Anne River, about 80 kilometres or 50 miles southwest of Quebec City and 50 kilometres or 30 miles northeast of Trois-Rivières City. Besides, four other rivers run in Saint-Casimir: Niagarette, Petite Niagarette, Blanche and Noire.
The name of Saint-Casimir was chosen in honour of Mr. Casimir Déry, a notary who paid for the construction of the local church. This historic building is considered nowadays one of the most beautiful churches in Québec. Of course, the village is also named after Saint Casimir, a patron saint of Poland, Lithuania, and youth. Two provincial roads go through St-Casimir: Route 354 - east-west - from Ste-Anne de la Perade to St-Raymond and Route 363 which leads from Deschambault to Lac-aux-Sables. Both roads lead to Autoroute 40, one of two Montreal-Quebec City highways.
Saint-Casimir is also the home to a famous cavern, the "Trou du Diable" or Devil's Hole, the second longest cave in Québec, 980 metres - 3,220 ft long. The cavern was formed by the former tributary of the Ste-Anne River, which left behind a stream. Many tourists come to visit and go through it every summer.
A famous French Canadian poet Alain Grandbois was born here in 1900. Saint-Casimir was a place, where, on the morning of March 23rd 1997, five members of the Order of the Solar Temple took their own lives in a fire, and three teenagers - the children of one of the couples who died, were discovered alive in a shed behind the house, but heavily drugged.