Sainte-Cecile-de-Milton is located in the Eastern Townships – Estrie Region. It has a population of 2100.
The Township of Milton was proclaimed in 1803, but the first settlers came there around 1825. British colonists settled at a place called Milton Corner.
In the early 1840, however, first migrating French Canadians arrived from neighboring parishes. The Ste Cecile catholic church was erected in 1861 by the French Canadian colons.
In 1864 they founded the municipality of Sainte-Cecile-de-Milton, which became the first Catholic parish in the county and assumed the name of the 1846 mission in Shefford County.
Proximity to larger towns has encouraged the municipality’s urban development. Today, economic life of Sainte-Cecile is based on large-scale agriculture and apple producing – just as it was a century ago.
The Sainte-Cécile Church is one of the most interesting attractions of the community and worth a visit.