Taschereau has a population of about one thousand.
Founded in 1913, Taschereau, once an important railway center, now lives to the rhythm of the forest industry. Its sawmills have strongly influenced the development. The firs colonists settled here in 1911, around the O' Brian train station, named after an engineer of the Transcontinental Railway.
A Catholic mission was opened here in 1914. It had the name of Saint-Pierre-of-Privat, honouring the lieutenant-colonel Marc-Antoine de Private, commander of Languedoc regiment during the Seven Years war. The mission reached the statute of parish in 1919. In 1926, the village was renamed as Taschereau in the honour of Louis-Alexandre Taschereau, Prime Minister of Quebec.
Taschereau was incorporated on December 27, 2001.
Today, Taschereau is also known as the entrance point to Aiguebelle National Park. At the quay, visitors will find picnic tables and playground areas, panels presenting the local history and a display of the attractions of the region.