Val-Racine, a small village of the Eastern Township (population about 140), is located in the area of the Megantic Mountain, near the American border.
Val-Racine was founded in 1892. The land belonged to a Scottish wood company, the Bristol American Land Co, but no permanent settlement existed there.
In 1870, French Canadian families began settling in the south of Marston Township, which became the parish of Saint-Leon upon construction of a chapel. Among its first buildings was a shrine or sanctuary on Mount Saint-Joseph, built in order to assure the saint’s protection against the strong winds and storms common to the region.