Asbestos Mineral Museum
Located in the town of Asbestos, a short distance from an open-air huge Jeffrey mine, the Asbestos Mineral Museum exhibits rocks and minerals found in the mine (in operations since 1879).
The Mineral museum documents the mining tradition of the area and seeks to foster an awareness of the richness of local chrysotile asbestos deposits.
It hosts permanent and temporary exhibitions, video presentations, educational workshops, collection of rock types found elsewhere in the Eastern Townships, Asbestos-based industrial and commercial products, tools and instruments used in field surveys and in the detection of asbestos deposits, photos and documents illustrating the history of the Jeffrey Mine and more.
The mining site, property of Jeffrey Mines Asbestos, located off-site, in St-Barnaby sector, can also be visited. The museum takes part in the annual Mineral Fair, associated with the Festival des Gourmands (third weekend in August of each year), in cooperation with the Asbestos Mineral Club.
To reach the Mineral Museum:
341, Boulevard St-Luc Asbestos
Telephone: 819 - 879-7547