Pointe-au-Pere Maritime Site
The museum is dedicated to two centuries of the region’s maritime history.
The Pavilion of the Empress of Ireland tells the story of the ill-fated vessel that sunk on May 29, 1914, taking lives of more than one thousand people. The pavilion houses the largest collection of artifacts salvaged from the ship and features a 3D presentation that lets visitors relive the shipwreck.
Guests can climb up the 128 steps to see one of the highest lighthouses in Canada (108 feet high) and visit the remaining buildings of the old Navigation Aids Station.
This octagonal lighthouse is built of re-enforced concrete and strengthened by eight pillars of the same material, a rare style for Canadian lighthouses.
The story of the HMS submarine Onondaga is also presented in the museum.
Address of the Pointe-au-Pere Maritime Museum:
1034, rue du Phare Rimouski G5M 1L8