The Customs office was one of the first British civic institutions established in conquered New France, in 1762. But this building, facing the St. Lawrence River, dates back to 1856. It was built near the shipyards, as Quebec City held a dominant place in shipbuilding and in timber trade at those times, when a British Law prohibited the purchase of American made ships, and many Scottish and English shipbuilders came to Quebec to develop shipbuilding industry.
This grey-stone building with Italianate columns was designed by William T. Thomas. It was decorated by William Lynn. Tourists can see figures above the windows. These figures are modeled on those which adorn the Ulster Bank.
Address of the Customs House:
130 Dalhousie Street Pointe-a-Carcy Promenade