Manoir Mauvide-Genest, located in St-Jean, on the Orleans Island, was built in 1734 for Jean Mauvide, a surgeon for the King of France. He was married to Marie-Anne Genest, daughter of a local blacksmith.
The manor is one of few remaining structures from New France’s Seigneurial regime. Jean Mauvide was also business minded and interested in shipbuilding.
After he had built a fortune, became Seigneur of the the west half of Ile d’Orleans in 1752. The manor was occupied by General Wolfe when the island was occupied by the British forces in 1759 during the campaign of Quebec. The manor played an important role in business.
Jean Mauvide would store here foodstuffs in a big attic and would meet people in the largest room. Indeed, the Manoir Mauvide-Genest is worth the detour. It a small country castle from the Louis XV epoch, a solid stone construction under a high roof, a symbol for an ancient way of life. In summer, the building houses a restaurant on the first floor. In 2002 the manor became an interpretation center for New France’s Seigneurial regime.
The rooms of the manor are open to the public. Tour guides, dressed in the period costumes will walk guests through, giving them a glimpse of what life was like in the second half of the 18th century. In the attic, a multimedia document summarizes the Seigneurial regime of Nouvelle-France.
Tourists can participate in one of our educative activities to get a better understanding of the period’s daily life and equipping.