Pont Rouge Toll Station
After the British had taken Canada, many Scottish, English and Irish developers settled in Quebec City and the area. In 1801 the British built the Royal Bridge, known locally as Dery’s Bridge.
This was the first and only bridge traversing the Jacques Cartier River. It was the only bridge in Canada, whose owners levied tolls for crossing. Local residents objected to the tolls. Thus they built their own bridge and painted it red. A village near it was given the name of Pont Rouge (Red Bridge).
A notice was posted on the toll house, known as Dery house, after its later occupant, which read:
- 1 car (2 wheels) with a horse – 0.05 c.
- A horse or mare .025 c.
- Beef or cow – .02c.
- A walker, by each day - .01c.
Every person who will pass on the bridge with carts, horses, beefs, or cows must pay in going and coming back but only once a day and the same rate will be required either in summer of in winter.
People making pass too much heavy load will be responsible of the damages made to the bridge.
The Dery house was used for a time by the Donnacona Paper Co. as temporary housing for English staff. It is now designated a historical site of Quebec.