Dumulon House - Maison Dumulon
A story of the first family of shopkeepers in Rouyn-Noranda
Jos Dumulon settled in Ville-Marie where he ran a logging business. In the early 1920s, he set up a company with his sons to provide transportation for prospectors heading for the Rouyn region. In 1924, he established his store on the shores of Lake Osisko, where Noranda Mines was planning to build a mine and smelter.
The Dumulons settled on a spit of land facing the Noranda camp and, using wood cut on the site, built their store in the space of four weeks. Later, these facilities were enlarged to accommodate a stable, an ice room, and the family home. By 1925, the Dumulons were running the biggest business in the new mining region.
They were also managing the post office and a livery stable.
In 1926, after the death of Jos Dumulon, the family closed the general store. Only the post office remained open and that until 1933. The story of the Dumulons as the first family of shopkeepers in Rouyn-Noranda is closely linked to the city’s commercial history as well as community’s heritage.
The site of the Maison Dumulon is a historic monument.