Brome County Historical Society
The Brome County Historical Society was incorporated on March 9, 1898, and has since worked diligently to preserve the past for future generations.
They say that it all began at a picnic on August 18, 1897, on a farm in West Brome. The event was the centenary of the first land grant made in Brome Township. The outcome was the Brome County Historical Society.
Today, the Brome County Historical Society owns and maintains a number of heritage buildings,which welcome individuals and groups. The extensive archives delight history buffs and impress the most serious scholars, and the museum educates and entertains, with displays of artifacts once used by the early people of Brome County.
You are invited to journey back to the 19th century and still younger days of this historic region.
A membership-based organization, B.C.H.S. is thus the oldest historical society in the Eastern Townships. Today, the society owns and maintains a number of heritage buildings, and its extensive archives delight history buffs and impress the most serious scholars. The Brome County Museum, created and administrated by the society, educates and entertains, with displays of artefacts once used by the first settlers of Brome County. The Brome County Historical Society manages a number of historic monuments, works to preserve and interpret the history of Brome County and surrounding areas. The B.C.H.S. manages the Tibbits Hill Pioneer Schoolhouse, built in 1844.
This early one-room schoolhouse, located a short drive from Knowlton and made entirely of stone, operated as a school until 1928. The society manages as well the Nicholas Austin Monument, near Lake Memphremagog and other heritage buildings. The B.C.H.S. Archives contain an extensive collection of material pertaining to the history and genealogy of Brome County and area and have facilities for research and consultation.
An extensive general collection of artefacts and documentation on Brome County and area is being conserved there.
Coordinates of the Brome County Historical Society: 130 Lakeside, Knowlton, Quebec J0E 1V0
Telephone: 450 243-6782