Gateau au Chocolate - Chocolate Cake
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 c. powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 tbsp. cocoa
- 5 egg whites
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate Sauce*
- 2 sq. baking chocolate
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. boiling water
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp. butter
- Beat egg yolks until thick.
- Add sugar and beat well.
- Add cocoa. Beat egg whites until peaks form.
- Add egg whites to mixture.
- Spread this mixture in a 9×13 inch baking pan (coated with butter and flour)
- Cook 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Tip over onto floured dish towel. Let cake cool.
- Slice into 4 quarters.
- Alternate layers of cake and whipped cream, ending with cake.
- Pour chocolate sauce onto cake and cover sides.
- For sauce, melt chocolate in double boiler.
- Add sugar and water.
- Mix well.
- Add egg and beat until smooth.
- Add butter and mix.