Fries With Spiced Mayonnaise
- ¾ cup (175 mL) of mayonnaise
- 1 tsp (5 mL) of lime juice
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp of ground cumin
- 2 lbs (1 kg) of potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and cut into 2×1/2-inch (5×1 cm) pieces
- 1 quart (1 L) of vegetable oil
- In medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, lime juice, garlic, cumin, paprika, set aside.
- In 2-quart (2L) saucepan heat oil to 325º F (160º C) with clean paper towels. Fry potatoes in oil in 1-cup (250 mL0 batches until lightly colored but not brown, 4 to 5 minutes per batch. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with remaining potatoes.
- Heat the oil to 375 F (190 C).
- Fry the potatoes in 1-cup (250 mL) batches a second time until they are golden brown and crisp, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Drain on fresh paper towels.
- Repeat with remaining potatoes.
- Sprinkle with salt if desired, and serve with spiced mayonnaise.
Prep time: 15 minutes, cook times: 15 minutes. Makes 6 servings.