Tourtiere is a traditional holiday pie served in Quebec at Holiday time, the Christmas feast following Midnight Mass. Now served when friends gather on a cool evening.
- 3 lbs. ground pork
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 double crust pies
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. allspice
- Put pork, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, cloves, and allspice into large cooking pot with enough water to cover 3/4 of ingredients.
- Simmer, stirring frequently, for 1/2 hour.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Line 2 (9 inch) pie plates with pastry.
- Put 1/2 of filling in each crust; cover with top pastry.
- Place a small funnel of brown paper in center of each pie to let out steam.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes; lower heat to 375 degrees for approximately 1/2 hour or until pie is golden brown.
- Two pies serve 8 to 12 people.