Orthodox Churches of Saint-Nicolas and Saint-Georges
The history of Abitibi-Temiscamingue is closely bound up with the story of thousands of European immigrants who came to work in the mines. These groups contributed significantly to the cultural and economic life of the region.
Not only did they play an important role in economic development, they also enriched community life with their traditions and cultural events. In the mid-1950s, the members of the Orthodox communities of Rouyn-Noranda and Val-d'Or decided to build churches that reflected who they were in order to preserve their religion and traditions.
They built the Church of Saint-Nicolas in Val-d'Or in 1954. It was used as a place of worship until 1981. It was renovated in 2003 and may soon be open to the public. Construction of the Church of Saint-Georges in Rouyn-Noranda was completed in 1957. This church was used as a place of worship until 1981.
In 1984 it was purchased by the City of Rouyn-Noranda and converted into a religious museum. Since 2006 it also includes an interpretation centre dedicated to the immigrants and their contribution to the regional community. The Russian Orthodox Church of Saint-Georges was designated as an historic monument by the City of Rouyn-Noranda.
The Churches of Saint-Nicolas and Saint-Georges are among the few places of Orthodox worship built in Quebec, outside the greater Montreal area.